Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old traditions made new!

Over the last year I have felt a yearning to incorporate old traditions back into my life! Cooking and baking at home more, growing a garden (we did this at Papaw's house last year), learning the "canning" process again, sewing, etc....I guess a lot of what "homemaking" use to be! One tradition I love is quilting....no, I don't quilt,ha! But my 91 year old grandmother, Zenobia, has been quilting as long as I can remember! She doesn't quilt much anymore because at 91 it is difficult to do all that work with your hands - she did all hers by hand! I wish I had taken the time to learn this tradition from her! One of my favorite quilt makers is Denyse Schmidt. She has taken the tradition of quilting and really put a modern twist on it to make it completely new! I really love this "Hills & Hollers" quilt pattern...it is so cute and I think it could work well for a girl or boys room depending on the fabrics you use!

5 comments:

  1. You can always test your quilting skills on me! ;) You know I've got a baby on the way! Teehee!
    And I would LOVE to get into the good ol' traditions that really "made" homemaking, as well! {I especially want a garden!!}Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one would be perfect for my sons room. Oh, and I love being a traditional homemaker although the cooking thing is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those modern fabrics! Thanks, Donna, for stopping and saying hello on my blog - I agree that a visit to the library is time better spent! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I love quilts, they remind me of my Grandmother and Mom. You are right, that last one could work anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I wish I knew how to quilt and learned how to sew from family members in my past. Love the chevron quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog...please do leave me a comment, I try to read them all!